In this 30 second PAREable, discover ideas on how carrots and sticks type of external motivation is unfit for the 21st century work.
- The 20th century framework of rewards and incentives only work in narrow band of circumstances in the 21st century.
- If-then rewards often destroy creativity.
- Secret to high performance isn’t rewards and punishment, but that unseen intrinsic drive.
- The drive to do things for their own sake, drives to do things because they matter.
- This intrinsic motivation has three elements: Autonomy, Mastery, and Purpose.
- Autonomy – the urge to direct our own lives.
- Mastery – the desire to get better and better at something that matters.
- Purpose – the yearning to do what we do at the service of something larger than ourselves.
Live and apply these ideas with the FREE Mindmory app!
Here is his cheerful TED Talk.
Until the next PAREable..